My adventures in pregnancy, motherhood and beyond

Please enjoy the musings and updates and leave me a comment if you'd like!

Thursday, July 24, 2014

28 Weeks

How far along: 28 weeks
Total weight gain: ?
Favourite clothes: Sweatpants, tunic top with leggings, shorts
Sleeping: Horribly
Best Moment: Getting to see friends, the aquarium
Worst Moment: The flight home
Miss anything: Sleeping in
Cravings: In n Out!
New symptoms: Hip pain is back, back pain
Looking forward to: Moving back home in...5 or 6 weeks
Crafting: Wave blanket, scarf

It was so weird to be home and NOT go to church on Sunday. We've been having great breakfasts at my parents' house and G has been eating great. I've been eating better too; I hadn't been very hungry before I left but maybe it's just that nothing sounded good to me because I've been ravenous since being in California. We took off Sunday afternoon for Monterey, and all things considered, the drive went pretty well. We stopped at the Giant Artichoke and I had a delicious fire roasted, balsamic marinated artichoke and we all shared fried artichoke hearts (G was unimpressed). We got to our hotel and G had a major meltdown. I haven't seen him that bad in a long time, possibly ever. It was horrible. I don't know what was wrong, but he was not happy. He finally calmed down and we got some dinner at a British pub. G enjoyed Grammy's rice, even asking "Granma mo rice?" a few times. He also ate two pieces of Gaga's calamari, which was surprising. He did pretty well and we coslept at the hotel, just like we've been doing at home.

The aquarium was a blast! We had a nice breakfast, and drove down to the aquarium. We started the day at the kelp forest, which G loved and he was spell bound by the fish. We stopped by the octopus and saw some pretty impressive moves. I've never seen the octopus so active; it even blew itself up like parachute day during gym class against the back wall. SO COOL! We saw the otters get fed, though it was super crowded, and managed to get good seats for the open ocean feeding. He peed through his diaper again while we were waiting, and this time there was no hand dryer to dry my shirt off in. Oh well. We changed him and got back just in time for the feeding. The turtles, the sunfish and hammerhead shark all swam right up by the window and we had front row seats. They fed the sunfish and the sardines, who schooled up and around. It was so neat. G fell asleep in Gaga's lap right in the middle of it. He stayed asleep as we walked through the Jelly Experience exhibit (too 70's, but still kinda neat) and the Tentacles exhibit, which was AMAZING! Octopi, squids and cuttlefish and it was just so amazing and cool and neat and awesome and every other good adjective out there. I learned so much and we saw all sorts of cool cephalopods, including a mama octopus aerating her eggs and living inside a blown glass vase and a cock-eyed squid, which has never been seen in captivity before (they actually thought it was a mutant when they caught it). It seemed it was naptime at the aquarium too because a lot of the creatures on exhibit were sleeping just as soundly as G was. He woke up in time for us to head to lunch. After a horrible experience at Sly McFly's that caused us to walk out before even sitting down, we ended up at the Fish Hopper for a really nice lunch. More rice for G, and I had crab-stuffed mushrooms and a cup of clam chowder. It was fantastic, and we had a table by the water, so G had fun looking at the boats and kayaks going by. He was fussy most of the afternoon, but really lost it when I made him leave the play structure. We did the touch pools, and it took about 10 minutes to get him to touch anything (a kelp leaf called a cow's tongue) and then he tried to pick up the star fish (a big no no). We went to the wave tunnel, and he seemed to enjoy it. At least, he stopped crying and had his sippy cup. He was completely not cool by the time we reached the penguins and I got a great angry glare from the little egg set up to take pictures. We left shortly after, though he got an awesome foam ball from the gift shop, which he loved! He did fall asleep on the way home for a while, but he was tired and tantrum-ed a bit. I did have a BIG win though. We stopped by a Fry's to use the restroom and let him stretch his legs, and to avoid some traffic. He found the Thomas DVDs. I got him to put them all back himself and walk out of the aisle of his own choice without the DVDs! Yay!!!

I got to see my dentist for a checkup. I know that sounds weird, but he's awesome and we've been going there for TWENTY years! I spent almost an hour afterward catching up with the hygienist (I was the last appointment). My BFF took me out to get my nails done the next day, and we had so much fun catching up and grabbing lunch and then she even helped me bathe G as my parents went to their dance class. It was extremely helpful and I miss her so much! The next day I had dinner with another friend, and it was great to catch up with her too. She just finished school for good and I was glad to celebrate with her. A delicious steak sandwich and gelato. There was a Brentwood corn flavour, but I went with straciatella. G decided not to sleep that night, continuously waking up. We decided to let him play, and Gaga and I waited for him to fall asleep. He crashed at midnight and we stayed up until 1 eating guacasalsa (why don't they have it here??? Anguish!) and watching Ancient Aliens. 4th of July was relaxed; a friend came over and we grilled out. G played outside and got wheelbarrow rides from Gaga and bubbles from Grammy. We also discovered that making your own bubble solution isn't too great and everyone got sticky. My child turned down lobster, but maybe that's because he loves the giant plush lobster Grammy got him? We also gave him some Benadryl. The doctor had warned us that it hypes some kids up and I didn't want to find out during the flight, but I wasn't going to be able to handle another flight like last time. Besides, we had a three hour layover!

The flights went meh. TSA are completely unhelpful again, despite my asking explicitly for some help, the assholes just went back to their personal conversation after looking at me struggling. They allowed me to "sneak in" since there's no pre-boarding and he actually did pretty well. He fell asleep during the descent, which led to a 20 minute nap. We almost got knocked over by the asshole passengers deplaning with us who couldn't wait five seconds for me move to the side and wait for the stroller. Thank goodness another parent helped me unfold the stroller because he was asleep on my shoulder at that point. He woke up and I got him some food, and got myself a burger. He was very upset and didn't understand why the fast food bag had no fries and kept asking "where french fries?" while looking in the bag. It was actually kinda hilarious. He did eat his pretzel bites, but I did give him some Benadryl hoping for a real nap on the second flight. It doesn't seem to have helped. I was told that they wouldn't allow pre-boarding because there were (and I quote) "too many kids." Are you freaking kidding me? I won't even bother explaining how pissed off I was. Then they wouldn't let me take him down the ramp in the stroller, which meant I had to carry him or risk us getting knocked down by people in a rush to board and wait forever. I was not freaking happy at this point. Basically I will never fly American Airlines again, especially through Dallas because their employees there just seem to be jackasses. He was calm, but definitely didn't sleep, and I was glad he had a window seat to entertain him. I found out airplane bathrooms DO have diaper change stations, on the wall above the toilet. I was glad to be home, even though it took a while to get bags and all, it was ok because James was caught in traffic and arrived just in time to get our bags for us. One was broken. Thank God my dad strapped down all the stuff so all we lost was a bunch of pull ups, but I hope it caused them problems because I was still angry at that point. G fell asleep after a few eating his chicken nuggets and a few fries, still holding the fry container. When I tried to change him before bed he ended up peeing all over the bed, but I was too tired to change the sheets right then, so I ended up just putting a towel over the wet spot, which was at the foot, and he went back to sleep pretty easily. I was exhausted, but so happy to see James again. All in all, it just cemented the fact that I will NEVER fly alone with a young child again. With someone else, I'm fine, but it's way too exhausting alone before they have a longer attention span. I'm very glad for staff break the next two days, and hopefully James and G and I can have some family time together and recover from our travels!

28 Weeks: Hello, Third Trimester! (7 Months!)

I like the ones without my face. Because I don't put on makeup or do my hair anymore lol

That one! Only two and a half row left. Eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment