My adventures in pregnancy, motherhood and beyond

Please enjoy the musings and updates and leave me a comment if you'd like!

Monday, May 12, 2014

Mother's Day

Mother's Day. What a holiday it's become. My own mother never really wanted to celebrate it; a combination of the commercialization it's gone through and the joke that you should appreciate your mother every day of the year. Here's a pretty good summary of the history of the holiday, which began as a religious response to the carnage of war: click here!

Fast asleep at lunch
We did make it to church, and no one threw up this time, which was wonderful. We were late, which for some reason meant that there was no room for us to sit after dropping G at the nursery. If I had been church shopping, I would've left and never come back, to be honest. As it was, I guess the usher convinced some people to scoot because after about 10 minutes and seating a group that came in after us, they found seats for us. They didn't do anything special for moms, but they had this Rite 13 graduation, which is a program that I still don't quite understand, despite James' explanation. It's not confirmation, but the graduation ended with a renewal of baptismal vows and they kept saying the children were now entering manhood and womanhood, which also makes no sense because it's for 7th and 8th graders...not exactly adults yet. Apparently that's why it was so crowded!

We went out to lunch afterward, and G was so tired that he fell asleep in the car and stayed asleep when we pulled him out. Now mind you, it sounds like G always sleeps in the car, but in reality, G usually screams; he hates being restrained and the car seat is the worst, despite us having turned it front-facing now. He stayed asleep for about half of lunch, and the restaurant gave me a rose! G was pretty fussy by the time we left because, yet again, his nap had been interrupted. We headed home and he was wide awake, so he played and I worked on some knitting. We pulled out the fingerpaints I'd gotten him and played outside for a while, but he wasn't much of a fan. I don't think he liked the paint being all over his hands. So we got one picture, and paint all over the deck and all over G, but it was worth it. He ran around outside, but got upset when we tried to make him come in, which resulted in a major tantrum. When he wasn't showing a sign of calming down, I picked him up and gave him some juice.

He definitely calmed down. So much so that he fell asleep for a full nap on my chest, which is a rarity these days. Baby Girl was kicking up a storm; maybe she was a bit squished. It was so nice to be cuddled up on the couch with him on my chest, and the dogs next to me, and I fell asleep too. When we woke up, I had some ramen, which made me happy (not so good without the hot sauce) and G made a mess of his toys. We actually got the shepherd's pie into the oven and had dinner by 6. G is turning into a bit of a picky eater. This time, he wouldn't eat anything except for the peas and corn kernels when they were pulled out separately. By the time James and I had finished eating, I guess he got hungry enough to try it though. He still wouldn't eat the mashed potatoes, but he ate the beef mixture, no problem.

Pippin braved his flailing for some kisses
A bath and he was ready to go down. We're weaning off the night time bottle slowly, so he's down to about 1.5 oz at night. It helps him calm down a bit, but I'm hoping we can be done soon. He seemed to go down without too much fuss, but when James got home he woke up and really started crying. After about a half hour I went back in and tried to put him down, but he woke up again, though this time he only cried for ten minutes before sleeping. Again, I checked on him before we went to bed, and had to pick him up off the floor again.

James had brought me chocolate covered strawberries, which were delicious and I spent the evening working on the duplicate stitches. Of course, I discovered the eyes weren't even, so now I've got to redo one of the eyes. Because I'm a perfectionist like that. James thinks I'm crazy, but I know it'll bug me. It was a nice night and we just got to relax together before heading to bed.

All in all, it was a perfect mother's day. G throws tantrums of course, but that's the age he's at: learning to deal with frustration and other emotions. It wasn't a very busy day, and it didn't seem like we did anything special, but I got to work on my knitting and spent the day with my family, which is exactly what I wanted.

Picasso at work
I'm actually a little sad it all washed out of the onesie

No comments:

Post a Comment