My adventures in pregnancy, motherhood and beyond

Please enjoy the musings and updates and leave me a comment if you'd like!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

35 Weeks

We hit the 30 day mark this week!! I can't believe there's only a month left! So, the official due date is October 16th, but I have a feeling he'll be in there a day or two longer. I'm guessing he'll arrive October 19th, probably in labour by the 18th...any other guesses? Just for fun!

Tuesday was pretty chilled out. Running some errands, but my back pain is really interfering with my life. I have trouble moving around and every time I turn from side to side at night, I can feel my back click and pop. I haven't started waddling yet, and can still move pretty quickly if I need to, but when I first start walking after sitting or lying down for a while, I definitely hobble. Tuesday night we went to the "Maternity Open House" at St. Joseph's, which was described as a tour. Online, it told us to meet in the hospital lobby, but as a very rude woman there informed us, we were to go to a different building with a classroom. Gee, I can't wait to give birth in a hospital with such nice people...that was sarcasm, in case you didn't catch it. It was interesting; the "tour" was basically the virtual tour available online and I didn't really see the point of having gone to this. Plus, the air conditioning was broken and the people next to me really needed to use deodorant, which made the night pretty unbearable. I guess it was ok, but it felt like a waste of time for the most part. It's also frustrating that you have to pay extra to have a private room, which is the only way James won't get kicked out after 9 or 10 pm. (This is after labour, obviously). They also apparently force you to watch a video about caring for newborns; the assumption of ignorance is incredibly frustrating. But, we'll see; I'm going to go in with good thoughts since I want this to be the best experience it can be under the circumstances.

Wednesday and Thursday were full of work and pretty much the norm. But Thursday night, we had one of my sorority sisters over for dinner. She brought a delicious salad (I really hope my tastes don't change back after Wallaby is born--I'm loving enjoying fresh veggies and fruits) and we had bbq chicken sliders. This is James' creation of bbq chicken with Stubb's spicy bbq sauce and mozzarella cheese, on top of King's hawaiian rolls (SO GOOD). Plus, she brought chocolate gelato for dessert, which was fantastic! And, she left the extra salad and the gelato, which was also great. We had a really lovely time; we hadn't had a chance to catch up since shortly after the wedding, and it was great to reconnect. She left us with a beautiful crocheted blanket and an offer to cook us dinner after baby arrives. It was a fun night, with good food, good conversation and good company. We quickly packed up some of our stuff after she left in an attempt to get an early start the next day to Coronado.

Well, it wasn't a super quick start, but at least it wasn't too late either. We packed up all of the clothes and bedding Wallaby had received to wash, as well as our laundry and food and thank you notes to address. We stopped by Freebirds for lunch and the girl who prepped our order differentiated our burritos with the monikers "Momma Bear" and "Poppa Bear" which was adorable. Then we realized we'd left the packed cooler sitting on the stove. Luckily we weren't too far from home, so we only hit the road after going back to pick that up. We got to Coronado and James had enough time to run to the library to print out something he needed to sign to allow our apartment to reglaze our tub (yay!). Then we had our massages. It was an interesting experience. It was very different from what we were used to--a lot of stretching, but not much deep knot work. Since I can't lie on my back, I had an astounding assortment of pillows propping me up. I haven't been that comfortable in months! I was lulled to sleep for a few minutes on either side and woke up feeling more rested that I have for quite a few months. Unfortunately, the style of massage didn't work for James or me; James said he felt a bit beat up and my lower back was bruised the next day, which was too bad. Ultimately, for me, it was worth it for because I felt so rested for the first time in a long time.

Well, the idea of getting out of the heat didn't last--it was 103 degrees on Saturday (how is that even possible?!)! Despite the heat, we ventured inland to pick up a clip-on high chair we had been looking at, and I think it'll be really helpful, especially since it folds flat for travel and we have a counter height table, but our families don't. We did laundry and my godparents came over for dinner. My godbrother was also able to join us for dinner before heading to work, and it was great to see them. We had salad and ravioli, and it was fun to chat and relax. They brought the crib, so that got unloaded for James to set up the next day. Since it was still early when they left, we spent the rest of the night folding up the teensy, tiny baby clothes and bedding. As long as he isn't going through 5 outfits a day, he should be ok (again, laundry will be interesting because we only have the pay community washers and dryers that are downstairs).

Sunday we went to Christ Church; it's so nice to be able to walk down there, and the rector is so nice, especially since James' aunt and uncle used to go to church with him, which is a neat connection to have. In fact, after the service, he asked us (sincerely) to call them when we had the baby so they can pray for us, which is very sweet since we are neither members nor regular attendees. The only downside is the "parish intern;" I'm not really sure what his role is, since he seems like a seminarian, but seems to be done with seminary. His preaching style isn't quite to my liking: both the sermons of his I've heard are very long and very disorganized--like looking at someone's brain map for an essay before they move forward and organize their thoughts. It's like he tries to fit in too much instead of focusing in on one or two thoughts. After church we finished laundry and James treated the outside of the house with bug spray. The pups got baths and then it was time to pack up the car and head home. Since we got home relatively early, James decided to wash the dog blankets and our bedding (separately, of course) before we head to bed. The tub had been reglazed, and for the first time since moving in it looks clean!!

Monday morning saw me wide awake with heartburn at 5 am. It was horrible and kept coming back throughout the day. I had lunch with some friends in the circle and then managed to run a few errands, including grocery shopping and some returns. The hospital store ended up not taking returns, even though it was their fault that it didn't work, so I wasn't too thrilled with that. I can tell you, I'll never get anything from that store again considering how unhelpful they were. So much for hospitals doing the right thing...Ah well, such is life. We got the stroller and spent the night setting it up! It's so exciting!! It's beautiful and it'll be so great to have; just as easy to set up as it is to fold and steer! It was a long day, especially considering the early morning I had, but for some reason I still couldn't sleep. Eventually I'll get some rest and some sleep at night, but not for the past few days. All in all, it was a pretty good week, and every week brings me closer to meeting my little boy!

And the Cliffs Notes:

How far along: 35 weeks
Total weight gain: Somewhere in the realm of 30 lbs
Favourite clothes: You get to see those Sesame Street boxers this week!
Sleeping: Horribly. Hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep between midnight feedings once he's for now, I barely get any sleep, and definitely no rest
Best moment: Dinner on Thursday was really great
Worst moment: Getting up Sunday night and not being able to walk from pain, Monday morning with heartburn
Miss anything: Sleeping, moving without pain, not being swollen like a balloon
Cravings: Salad with goodies in it (tomatoes, bell peppers, olives, avocado, etc)
New symptoms: Heartburn. Waah!
Looking forward to: Just in the next week, all the things we ordered should be showing up! Looking further forward, Laura and Chris' wedding is coming up! Yay!
Pregnancy brain moments: So I have a problem with remembering nouns anyways, and this is just exacerbating, but here are the two best ones:
Trying to describe the terracotta warriors: "Those Chinese people, that aren't real people"
The post office: "That place that takes the things to the other places"
Listening to: I haven't really had music I've been absolutely obsessed with. Just the normal shanties and war or drinking songs
Crafting: I need to crochet more! I only did one row. I need to get back into the groove!
Baby projects: Same as last week. Getting the car seat installed is top to do right now!
35 Weeks: Wallaby is the size of a durian. It's a fruit, apparently
Note the sexy boxers and squint (it was super bright)

35 week profile. Again, note the boxers lol

35 week belly. He's all out in front!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Emmi, you`re looking great! With the Heartburn, do they have Rennie in USA? Chewing those helped me a lot during the last weeks of pregnancy. I got them from the farmacy. They are ok when pregnant. It's so exiciting - and annoying to wait for the baby to arrive when it's getting closer to due date. Emma was just one day late. Hope Wallaby will not make you wait too long over his due date.
    Love from Bremen! Miriam