My adventures in pregnancy, motherhood and beyond

Please enjoy the musings and updates and leave me a comment if you'd like!

Monday, September 17, 2012

34 Weeks


I know there's only 5 weeks left now, but I feel like these last few weeks have been crawling by so slowly! I know it's gone fast, and there's so little time left, but I still feel like it's taken so long for these last few weeks to pass, and I think that feeling will continue.

I grabbed some old Cat Who... mystery books by Lillian Jackson Braun before leaving Walnut Creek. They used to take me about a week or so to get through in 5th grade, so I figured four of them would be plenty. Oh, how wrong I was. I finished all four of the ones I took in 3 days. And I realized something. Jim Qwilleran, who I had always admired was actually a womanizing jerk, a dirty old man. Maybe I just glossed over it because I was young and it went over my head, but YUCK. Anyways, maybe that's in the earlier ones; it's definitely interesting to see the difference in attitudes toward women displayed in the 60's and 80's, especially as the book is written by a woman. There are 29 books in the series, and I'd like to make my way through all of them again. Unfortunately, our library doesn't seem to have the early ones, so I'm a bit stuck...Coronado has them, but while we'll go down once more, I don't think we'll be back after that to return them.

Tuesday passed too quickly; unpacking and recuperating from the long weekend. It always seems like you need a vacation from your vacation, doesn't it? James had started feeling sick before we left, but got better once we were up north. Well, it was back in full force by Wednesday. We're relatively sure it's caused by the mold in our bathroom, though we finally have a new vent in the bathroom. They had to get us a commercial grade one to make it work, but it actually does! I spent Wednesday evening on my own with the pups while James went out with the groomsmen and women for a pre-bachelor party get together. He seemed to have a good time, but he really didn't sound great when he got back. Thursday was calm and we had tangy black bean soup for dinner. Since I couldn't decipher the directions (they made no logical sense, like big chunks were missing), I just made it up as I went and it ended up being really good!

I ended up working a half day on Friday to cover for my boss' wife. I would have worked the whole day, but I had a doctor's appointment at 2. It seems like everything is looking good--the doctor was late since his surgery that morning had run late, but there was nothing to be concerned about. Basically he confirmed my suspicion that since the gallbladder ultrasound came back negative for stones, it's just one of those fun mystery pains. It still pops up every now and then, and sometimes just touching my stomach is painful, but I'm managing. Friday evening our friends took us out to dinner at PF Chang's for James' birthday. We had a wonderful time and had some great food; even some leftovers to take home for lunch the next day! They also treated us to dessert at this place that specialized in macarons! Not the coconut, fluffy type, but the whoopie-pie look-alike type. They had all kinds of different flavours, but we went with salted caramel, vanilla and chocolate. I really liked the caramel and vanilla, but the chocolate had a weird fudge-like consistency I didn't care for. And the fact that there's a store that only sells macarons is crazy--definitely only in Newport Beach! It was a really fun night and I'm so glad we have such great friends.

Saturday was my baby shower down here! It was perfect--I have a bit of social anxiety so I always get nervous before these things. There were about 8 people there and it was great--we had food, played games and opened presents. Plus I got to catch up with people I don't get to see very often! The games were really fun---nursery rhyme riddles (with some I'd never heard of!), baby food guessing game (failed miserably) and baby animal names (very informative). I even won one of the games; no, it wasn't rigged! I was so grateful to Theresa (and John and John Lawrence) and Vanessa for putting this together for me. I just had so much fun. I think James' eyes bugged out of his head the most when he saw the 53" teddy bear my godmother got us--it's huge and cuddly and must be protected from the dogs who would also love it. We got to spend the evening with my godmother, whom we hadn't seen since Easter. It was great to catch up and have a nice dinner and chat, and she helped us out a great deal by taking the old crib down to San Diego for us to put into Coronado next weekend (which would have been difficult in our cars). It was a nice night, but we had to get some rest because Sunday was busy too!!

Sunday was the shower that First Presbyterian threw for us. We went to church in the morning, and after the service, they had McAulay Hall all decorated--it was so adorable! It was a beautiful set up and there were balloons in the shape of pacifiers and tons of people showed up. It was a little embarrassing, sitting in front of everyone, but at least this time they didn't make us give a speech (like at the wedding shower) haha. We had a great time, and good cake, but didn't have time to open the presents at the shower since it was about 20 minutes before the Christian Education class started. We opened them all at home, and had a wonderful time. It was so sweet of everyone and the items will be very well-loved and used, I'm sure. The only thing that upset me a bit was when I stood up, one woman told me that I was so big there was no way I'd make it another month, let alone to my due date. Now, this is the first thing someone has said that has upset me to this degree; don't tell someone their baby is going to be premature...it's not nice. And don't say it repeatedly! Plus, what woman is ok with being told how large she is? I mean, really?! I managed to NOT smack her, which I consider a very large feat of self-control, and even more so, I managed to keep a smile (if slightly strained) on my face. But, overall, I had a great time and everyone there was so loving and supportive. It's nice to know that we have such a large support network.

We spent the rest of the afternoon at Babies R Us looking at strollers/car seats. The one we had registered for was a bit clunky; it would take up the entire trunk of the cars and it was quite heavy. A friend recommended the B Agile on facebook; it's made by Britax and their car seats attach (as well as any others with the help of an adaptor). We totally fell in love with it! It is true to its name, very agile, and light, easy to fold and so small when you fold it up! We ended up ordering the Sandstone colour travel system Monday night and I can't wait for it to get here!! (PS: Just realized it perfectly matches the diaper bag, which was a total accident, but is awesome!) My priority right now is getting clothes/bedding washed and the car seat installed in case Wallaby shows up early. In the evening, we had our maternity photo shoot! Alison Conrad of Alison Kay Photography was our photographer; she was James' colleague when he first moved to Orange in 2005. We had such a great time at Crystal Cove in Laguna Beach, even if we ended up with wet pants! I felt very pretty and can't wait to see the photos in a few weeks! And, we're set up for her to do newborn photos once Wallaby gets here too, so I'm thrilled! It was a really fun weekend, but it was a very long, long weekend and even before the photos I was in quite a bit of pain and exhausted. I took one of the pain pills my OB gave me and that helped a bit, but I'm afraid I was quite cranky before that. I had so much fun this weekend, but it was with relief that I crawled into bed Sunday night with plans to do a whole lotta NOTHING on Monday!

Monday was spent online--researching prices and strollers and seeing exactly what we still *need* versus what we want and how that works with the gift cards we've received. Also, about 5 hours of napping; completely and totally crashed out on the couch instead of running errands. But after hours of numbers and ending up with different numbers each time I added things up, I ended up giving up for a while, but will try again later. I also finished up some thank you notes, though we're going to have to go buy some more for the church! Finishing those is on my list for Tuesday, along with grocery shopping and organizing the baby stuff in the nursery...it became a mess again when we removed the crib lol. All in all, a wonderful week with a fun, exhausting weekend!


How far along: 34 Weeks! (3 weeks til full-term!!!)
Total weight gain: +30 the weight gain has slowed down a bit, and I have appointments every 2 weeks now
Favourite clothes: Those Sesame Street boxers I got are not only awesome, but totally comfy! (Oh, and I can't comfortably wear my normal bra anymore--nursing bras here I come? :/)
Sleeping: Still difficult for tossing, turning and getting up to pee. I try to get in naps during the day, during which I tend to sleep well
Best moment: The baby showers were such an outpouring of love and support, it was amazing!
Worst moment: Sunday afternoon between strollers and photos was really hard--I was in a lot of pain and very grouchy...Plus I'm still ticked off about that lady's comments. 
Miss anything: The norm. Does anyone know if I can eat blue cheese if it's pasteurized, or is it just any blue cheese that's out?
Cravings: No big ones this week, but I remain suggestible
New symptoms: The old ones--my stomach is so sensitive and there's both internal and superficial pain, but there's not much to do. Pain on and off in my hip. I'm finally getting too big to reach things on the ground, like my purse when I'm in the car. I'm just uncomfortable in general, but that's par for the course. Braxton Hicks contractions are kicking up again and, speaking of kicking, Wallaby has turned my uterus into a kickboxing gym!
Looking forward to: We have the labour and delivery tour this week and dinner with a friend I haven't seen in a while, plus a weekend in San Diego (our last til Thanksgiving I'm sure)
Pregnancy brain moments: Words get mixed up and I always say the wrong ones...or write the wrong ones
Listening to: We got Raffi cds from the shower! EEEE! 
Crafting: I need to get my butt in gear, but I've been so busy with other stuff that I've barely made any progress. Gotta change that this week...
Baby projects: Still the same. Like I said, I need to get down to work on these since I have like 5 other projects I still want to finish

34 Weeks: Wallaby has hiccups at least once a day!
It's true, for about 2 weeks he had a hiccup problem

34 Week profile shot

34 Week baby belly

No comments:

Post a Comment