My adventures in pregnancy, motherhood and beyond

Please enjoy the musings and updates and leave me a comment if you'd like!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

39 Weeks

Would you believe there's only 7 days left?! I know I can't!

To be honest, despite the fact that I've truly enjoyed being pregnant I am ready to NOT be pregnant. It's not just a matter of the superficial things I'm looking forward to (sleeping on my back, sushi, etc) but has become a matter of me being miserable. And yes, I'm about to get whiny. My hips hurt and even when I don't do anything I can't walk at the end of the day. I can't sleep through the night and turning over is exhausting, painful and involves loud cracks and pops from my hips and back. I can't stand up or sit down or move without my hips cracking or sending shooting pain down my legs. My belly is so huge I can't do anything anymore, and the skin is so stretched out that it's numb...but it still itches, which is maddening. Everything is swollen, and it's not getting any better. I haven't been able to wear my seahorse ring in weeks and I feel like I look like a balloon that's filled to bursting. Seriously, soon my flip flops won't fit. Clothes don't fit properly anymore either. All those shirts that were cute and adorable with a little bump are awkward and unflattering now; they need to make separate maternity clothes specifically for the third trimester, or at least for the last month or so. Ok, I'm done whining. And I'd like to add this caveat to my whine: I have loved being pregnant and the fact that my body can make a little human is amazing! I'm astounded at my body's ability to make life and I love feeling him squirm and kick and am so excited to meet him. But, there are cons to it, and I needed to vent them out, so, again, sorry for the whine.

Tuesday was pretty relaxed. I spent the day working on one of the wedding presents for the big day on Friday! Both James and I are super excited about it. Wallaby has strict orders to stay in there until Friday evening; after 6:30 pm, he is free to show up whenever he'd like. Unfortunately, my lunch date fell through due to a miscommunication, but it's ok. I was a bit exhausted and not really up to going out to eat. I'm not really up to going out at all lately. I just get so tired so easily, and the above whine applies all day too.

Wednesday was the beginning of the festivities, and the beginning of the end of work for me. Only 16 hours of work left. When work was over, I ran home to rest for a bit before the rehearsal. Since we're not actually standing up there with them, our part in the rehearsal was minor; we will light the candles next to and on the altar, marking the beginning of the ceremony. Then we headed to the rehearsal dinner, which was lovely and delicious. Salad and lasagna and good company, what more could you ask? We got to sit with some lovely people and chat; even though I was tired when we got home, I had a great time.

I woke up Thursday with a cold. It was supposed to be my last day at work, but with labour coming up soon and the wedding the next day, I thought it might be better to just rest instead of pushing myself. So unfortunately, I didn't make my last day at work. Instead, I stayed on the couch, sipping broth and hot tea and dozing on and off. I was ravenous, so every time I woke up, I ended up eating. James brought home some lemons so I could make hot lemon and honey for my throat, and I went through at least a box of kleenex throughout the day. I had been looking forward to getting my nails and toes done with the bridesmaids, but I ended up having to opt out. I just didn't want to get anyone else sick, and I really wanted to conserve my energy for Friday--I'm so excited about the wedding! Thursday was just a miserable day and I can't imagine going through labour while being this sick.

Friday was a very busy day. Luckily, I did my makeup before my doctor's appointment, since the appointment was at 2 and the wedding at 5:30. I was worried about getting there on time if the doctor was late for some reason (like surgery, which he does Friday mornings). Sure enough, he was a bit late. My blood pressure was a bit high again and they had me lie down on my side. It went down again, but not as much as before, so the doctor sent me for tests. He had said if it hadn't gone down, I'd have to go to the hospital for monitoring, and when I asked "Today?," he said "Well, yes. What else are you going to do?" To which I replied "We have a wedding! Can you wait until 6:30?" That's when he ordered the blood tests, to be completed STAT with the results called in to his cell phone. They would call me if there were any problems. Naturally, this freaked me out, especially added to the fact that he wanted to see me on Monday again. So, I tried to stay calm as they drew blood and we headed home. I refreshed my makeup and hair as James got his suit on. Since there's black in my dress, I brought it to the church with me and changed. I managed to wedge my feet into my most comfortable heels for the duration of the ceremony, but changed into flip flops in the car on the way to the ceremony. The ceremony was lovely: Laura looked absolutely gorgeous and radiant and Chris looked like a little kid on Christmas morning. It was so sweet, especially as Laura kissed Chris' hand after putting his ring on. We stayed after for the photos and then headed to the reception with the rest of the bridal party. There wasn't anywhere to sit out front, so we sat in back as we waited for the guests of honour to arrive; this worked out well since the caterers came out with the hot hor d'oeuvres to the back first: yum! We walked out with the bridal party and discovered that someone from the church had saved us two seats, which was great. We had a lovely time, eating appetizers and chatting. We got to see people from the church and people from my sorority that I haven't seen in ages. It was so much fun to catch up with everyone. And eventually, I even felt good enough to dance a bit. And everyone else was shocked that I was dancing, but I had a fun time--gonna dance that baby out of me! We ended up staying the entire night until the bride and groom headed out. My favourite part was probably the garter toss--it turns out they used the garter Chris caught at our wedding! Instead of going straight to bed, we walked the dogs and went back out to Lazy Dog to grab a late dinner (my stomach demands more than appetizers these days) before heading home and absolutely crashing out. Or at least, I crashed out completely. I had so much fun, but was so exhausted. Luckily, there was no call from the doctor, so nothing was too wrong with my bloodwork.

Saturday was pretty relaxed--the only thing we had to do was meet McKenzi, our wedding photographer, to get James' graduation photos taken. My mom had a robe and mortarboard from her graduation, and got James a tassel and honour stole from Prescott and photos for his birthday. Since McKenzi was in town, we were able to book a mini session with her to get some photos done. She also had me step into some, which I wasn't expecting: James was all fancied up and I was in my sweats, so we were a bit incongruous, but she did take an absolutely adorable photo, which you can see below! It was great to see her again; she's helped us capture some of the most memorable milestones of our lives together, and it was nice to add this one too. We ran some errands, just trying to get everything done before Wallaby arrives. We were both pretty tired from staying out so late the night before, but we still didn't manage to get to bed until about 11 pm. I wasn't feeling too great, and knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep for a while--I was having contractions, I figured they were Braxton Hicks, and figured I'd walk a bit, have some water and wait for them to go away. Well, they didn't go away and before long we were heading to the hospital! (For the full birth story, please read the next post)


How far along: 39 Weeks
Total weight gain: +37 lbs
Favourite clothes: I wish I could just stay in my pyjamas all day long
Sleeping: Pretty decently, when I manage to fall asleep
Best moment: The wedding was so much fun! I loved seeing everyone and dancing and had such a great time!
Worst moment: The ASAP bloodwork made me worry quite a bit, especially the few hours after, waiting to see if we got a call or not
Miss anything: Everything I can't have
Cravings: Nothing right now, just eating a LOT (I'm so hungry all the time!)
New symptoms: I'm so hungry all the time! And those contractions were definitely new!
Looking forward to: Holding my baby! I couldn't wait all week, but just kept hoping he'd wait until the wedding was over!
Pregnancy brain moments: None right now
Listening to: Let's see, they played Lady Gaga at the wedding--I had to give Chris some shite about that since he gave it to me for playing some at our wedding.
Crafting: I've given up on finishing things before Wallaby arrives, so we'll stick with what we have
Baby projects: See above!

So there's a lot of photos this week...deal with it :)

Coutesy of Taylored Photo Memories. Labour started that night

39 Weeks: Wallaby is the size of a pumpkin

Pumpkin sized belly

Oy. Carrying that baby around!

39 Week profile shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment