My adventures in pregnancy, motherhood and beyond

Please enjoy the musings and updates and leave me a comment if you'd like!

Monday, July 9, 2012

24 Weeks

Well, I saved something from last week's post for this week because it was technically the first day of the 24th week. James felt the baby kick on June 26!!!! YAY! JAMES FINALLY FELT WALLABY!!!!!! I'd been getting frustrated since I could feel him pretty regularly, but James still hadn't felt him. Now, I've definitely pegged him as a morning person and his kicks have even moved my computer once! Feeling him kick is so reassuring and I adore that feeling. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.

I can't believe it's July! Only 3 more months left! And so much to do! We picked up a crib on Friday from Craigslist and James spent the rest of the day changing it from a dropside crib to a non-drop side crib. It's a nice piece of solid wood furniture, and looks good in the nursery. This is also why I spent Monday cleaning up and organizing it. It doesn't look like a lot has been done, but everything is organized, and just needs to be moved around to figure out how the crib, changing table/dresser and my sewing table are going to fit along with the glider (another project is to sew covers for the glider that aren't hideous, but beggars can't be choosers and I can't complain about the price). It felt good to get that started, and to get a lot of the craft supplies organized, but it was exhausting and I may have pushed it too far; I was in a lot of pain by the time I finished last night.

My lower back is starting to ache a bit, which isn't comfortable, but isn't too bad yet either. My hip, on the other hand, is a big problem. Big and bad. It feels like it's not in the joint correctly; like it needs to crack. But it won't. The pain spreads from the hip to the lower back on that side and into my tailbone. And sitting on a hard surface, or standing, or walking quickly becomes excruciating. Especially when I put all my weight on that leg--like when walking, or pulling on pants, etc. I really hope this goes away. I told the chiropractor about it, but she didn't really help when I mentioned it last week and I'm not holding out too much hope for Thursday either. I see the doctor (or the nurse practitioner) soon, so I'm waiting for that since this is quickly getting to the point of interfering significantly with my life.

Other than that, it's been a pretty relaxed week. We went to a pool party on Sunday, and I made buffalo chicken dip, which is fantastic, if I do say so myself. James and I have been snacking on the leftovers. I've been absolutely ravenous lately, eating everything, all the time. I've discovered the deliciousness of stuffed portobello mushrooms--Fresh & Easy has some great ones where you just put the tray onto the grill for 25 minutes and it's done. They're stuffed with some mixture of spinach and cream cheese and other delicious ingredients. Seriously, it's like heaven. I ate both of them in one sitting before moving on to dinner. This is not helping with my feeling of hugeness, but I seem to always be hungry now. I'm trying to keep it balanced, with fruits and veggies, but I have to admit, I don't always do the best job at it. But at least I'm making an attempt and eating things like mushrooms and asparagus and nectarines.

Our sleeping bag also arrived from the UK on Monday! It looks great, and it's surprisingly light too! I can hardly wait to go camping! But we do need recommendations on where to go, since I have no idea about down here. I'm so looking forward to it though. For now, we'll make do with James' little grill and our tiny cooler, and just bring non-perishables for the most part. Eventually, we want to get a camp stove and pots as well as a cooler that holds ice well. I just think it's going to be so much fun!

We also went test driving cars on Sunday. Since we eventually want two kids, and the dogs' kennel takes up 2 seats on the backseat, we've come to the conclusion that we really need a larger car. With the kennel and the stroller in the "trunk" and two car seats in the backseat, there won't be much room for luggage when we take trips. Admittedly, the need isn't quite here yet, but it was still fun to look. We drove the Rav4, Highlander and Mazda CX5. The Rav4 drove nicely, but the third row seats were ridiculous; even I didn't fit, with my legs all squished up. Definitely not a good long term solution. The CX5 has great mileage, but was so uncomfortable: the seats were hard, it was super loud and you had to keep your foot pressed down on the pedal constantly. The Highlander was great though: not only did the third row have a decent (not great) amount of room, but it was super comfortable and drove so smoothly, quietly, and handled great. This would definitely be a car that would last us a good long while. And, most importantly, it's not a mini van. Anyways, I'm not sure when we're looking at needing a new car, but probably after Wallaby arrives. I'm sure we can make do with the Prius or Matrix for at least a while. But it was still a lot of fun to drive and look around at features, etc. (We did get a salesman in trouble because he ditched us as soon as he found out we weren't buying for a while--and we had questions and wanted to test drive, but he was nowhere to be found. The fleet manager helped us instead and he was very nice. But had no idea how to talk to women; it was hilarious. And awkward.)

Weekly Update:

How far along: 24 weeks
Total weight gain: Still no idea--my scale is so inconsistent.
Favourite clothes: Really, I've been lazy and enjoying my new sweat pants
Sleeping: If James puts the pups in bed with me in the morning, I sleep in super late, but otherwise, Wallaby wakes me up
Best moment: James feeling the baby kick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Worst moment: My hip pain Monday night and Tuesday
Miss anything: Feeling full with a normal sized meal
Cravings: Nothing in particular, I don't think. Anything someone mentions sounds delicious though
New symptoms: The hip pain...it's bad
Looking forward to: 4th of July off with my hubby
Pregnancy brain moments: None this week! Yay!!
Listening to: The Necromancer by Michael Scott. Then The Enchantress (don't tell me what happens!)
Crafting: Coasters, mobile, some others in mind
Baby projects: The nursery is coming along nicely. I also want to learn to crochet so I can make some arigurumi sea creatures for the baby.

24 Weeks: Wallaby is over 1 ft (12 in!) long!
That's an ear of corn!
And Dad felt you kick for the first time 6/26!

24 Week belly

24 Week belly zoom. It really popped!

No comments:

Post a Comment