My adventures in pregnancy, motherhood and beyond

Please enjoy the musings and updates and leave me a comment if you'd like!

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Week 14

We're getting closer and closer to the halfway mark! Yay! I can't wait.


How far along: 14 weeks 
Total weight gain:   Still at -5
Maternity clothes:   Definitely! There's a bump there and I'm thrilled!
Stretch marks:   Can I just not answer? None on my tummy.
Sleep:   A little bit better. I sleep through the nights now, or only get up once
Best moment this week:   Picking up a few extra hours at work. I actually like getting out of the house and going to work now
Miss anything:   Sushi!
Movement:   I'm not sure, but I felt a weird little bubbling really low in my abdomen that I've never felt before. Maybe I'm just making things up, but it was weird.
Cravings:   Not so much. I want whatever picture of food I'm currently looking at
Queasy?:   No! Yay!
Gender:   Unknown
Symptoms:   Sore breasts, constipation, the usual. (Sorry if it's TMI, but hey)
Belly button in or out?:   In
Wedding ring on or off?:   On
Happy or moody?:   While my mood swings, I'm generally happy
Looking forward to:   The 20 week ultrasound when we get back and Rick Riordan's new book!


My boss asked me recently if I knew what it was. I guess some women have a sort of mother's intuition about it, but I have no idea, at least not yet. We have decided to find out if we can (I was stubborn and had my back turned during every ultrasound--and my mom had one at each prenatal appointment!) and we'll have an appointment set for when we get back from Israel (so soon!!!!) So for fun, I started looking up old wives' tales about how to know which sex your baby is and thought I'd share my results:

1) Carrying high or low? If you carry high, you're having a girl, low and expect a boy.
I feel like I look like I'm just getting chubby, but it all seems high up, so girl

2) If you prefer to sleep on your left, you'll have a boy, your right and you'll have a girl.
I move around too much to know.

3) Extreme nausea? You're probably carrying a girl.
I didn't throw up much, but from week 6 through 11, I lived off of Preggie Pop Drops: girl

4) Are your cravings for sweets of savouries? Sweet: girl, Savoury: boy.
Boy. I've never been much for sweets, and pregnancy is no exception.

5) If you're breaking out like a teenager, expect a girl. (This coming from the belief that girls "steal" their mothers' beauty [ridiculous, I know])
Girl. Like I said, it's like being in middle school again--although it's slowing down a little bit.

6) Is your mood swinging or attacking? If you have extreme mood swings, look for a girl.
Girl. I won't even go into my iTunes breakdown this morning.

7) Are you gliding through the day or tripping over your feet? Graceful: girl, clumsy: boy.
Boy. Not that this is news for anyone who knows me, the "dancer who trips on the sidewalk"

8) According to the Mayans, if your age at conception and the year of conception are both even or odd, expect a girl. If one is even and one is odd, look for a boy.
Girl. 24, 2012.

9) If your little one's heartbeat is at 150 or above, break out the pink. Below 150, buy blue.
Girl. At least, everytime we've heard/seen it.

10) Take your engagement ring and hang it on a string. Hold the ring over your belly; if it moves in a circle, it's a girl. If it swings back and forth, it's a boy.
Weird, I know but I did it haha. Girl.

Results:
Girl: 7
Boy: 2
Unsure: 1

There you have it. The old wives have spoken and I'm having a girl. I can't wait to find out if they're right!

And here are some photos, of weeks 13 and 14:


13 weeks: Baby Lawrence is the size of a shrimp!

14 weeks: Second Trimester. One down, two to go!
14 weeks; James got creative  
14 week belly

No comments:

Post a Comment