My adventures in pregnancy, motherhood and beyond

Please enjoy the musings and updates and leave me a comment if you'd like!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Pear-Gorgonzola Pizza and Leftover Gorgonzola Ideas

Our favourite pizza!
When discussing what we wanted for dinner, James said he was really feeling a craving for my pear-gorgonzola pizza. I gotta say, this is one recipe that i consider my specialty, and one of the few recipes I've come up with on my own. I forget how the idea wormed itself into my head, since I never used to be much for mixing up savory and sweet, but for some reason pear and gorgonzola baked with cheese just sounded good. Since adding marinara to that did NOT sound like a good idea, I figured out another way to make this pizza a reality.

Using a pre-cooked pizza crust (we tried making our own and it just didn't cook right), brush a light coat of olive oil on the pizza and top generously with mozzarella. Using a mandolin slicer, slice up a bosch pear (you can also use an asian pear or an apple pear, but bosch is best, I think). If you have a corer, core the pear first, but I never have, and I just pick out the seeds. Place the pear slices (which are perfectly thin) on the pizza all around, so that every bit would have a piece of pear. Use pre-crumbled gorgonzola (we had to go to two stores to find real gorgonzola) and pre-cooked bacon to top off the pizza. James and I always put more gorgonzola/less bacon on one side and more bacon/sparse gorgonzola on another (my side and his, respectively). Bake the pizza for the time and at the temperature the pizza crust packaging recommends (usually somewhere around 10-14 min at around 325). Pull out the pizza, slice up and serve! It tastes like something gourmet, but it's so, so easy to make!

Since I usually buy the pre-crumbled gorgonzola, I always end up with a bunch leftover. Since gorgonzola is not exactly cheap (not super expensive either) I don't want the cheese to get bad, so I've been trying to find other ways to use up not only gorgonzola, but other ingredients I end up with too much with. Now, my favourite pasta sauce is this delicious sauce made my Lucini, called Robust Tomato Gorgonzola Sauce. Unfortunately, it costs about 10 dollars for a normal size jar. So I decided to try to make my own. I found a recipe for it, but in my zeal to use leftovers, I decided to use the spaghetti sauce James had doctored the previous night. I had to add some canned tomato sauce since the ground beef had soaked up a bunch of the liquid, and then added in some of the gorgonzola I had left over. While it wasn't quite the same taste as the Lucini sauce, it was still pretty good. I would definitely consider doing it again, but also want to try the recipe I found. I'll let you know when I make that and how it goes. Other ideas for leftover gorgonzola:
-Put it on apple slices (works well with blue cheese too, yum)
-Put on a crostini with some honey
-Sprinkle on top of a salad, especially with a vinaigrette
-Eat with a pear
-Bake on top of garlic bread
-Mix into mashed potatoes for a rich, creamy, savoury taste

Keep tuned for some more cooking info: I'm making mexican wedding cake cookies and a surprise for James in the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment